Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Day 32 - It's only funny because it's not funny!

Today was awful!

Seriously awful!

My son woke up this morning with, "Mommy my eyes are blurpy". Ok, I was not sure what "blurpy" meant. He does go to school and I am not up to date on all the cool new sayings so I asked, "what??"? To which I got, "You know, BLURPY, like when I wear EL's glasses". If he didn't have this awful rash also covering his eyes I would have demanded to know why he has been wearing his sisters glasses. But instead I headed over to the trusty google screen.

My son had this rash for while on his face. The first doctor said it was eczema. It got worse. We went to the ER and were told it was Scarlet Fever!! To my knowledge (which really isn't any) only people pre-1900 got Scarlet Fever! And they always die. In the books, that is. But, no, Scarlet Fever is just Strep. Which is weird because we had no other symptoms. So a penicillin shot later things were suppose to be grand! And with no fever(which he actually never had) and a full 12 hours after the injection we were no longer contagious. Cause lets face it - as a "single" parent all I care about is not being locked in my house with all these kids all day long!

Today roles around and we are still with rash that the doctor says can last months. MONTHS! He looks like a half his face is falling off!

Now we are back at the google screen. I googled "Scarlet Fever" and "Vision". Before I hit enter I am struck with a memory! Mary Ingalls had scarlet fever in the Little House in the Prairie books. And she went blind! I immediately call our clinic. No appointments available. Good news though - the throat culture they did in the ER came back and it's not Scarlet Fever after all. But the nice lady tells me how I need to rush him to the ER because vision changes are "emergent" and need to been seen ASAP!

I went to the ER where instead of getting marked as "emergent" we were marked as "non-urgent". We sat in that waiting room for 5 hours. Yes, FIVE! I think I could see the flu and strep and GI bugs floating around. If we didn't test positive before we might now :)!

When I thought that having 2 children under the age of 5 in a very small waiting room for 5 hours without lunch was a nightmare enough I actually saw the most nightmarish thing of all. My 3 year old take off her headband, drop it on the floor, it slides under several chairs, she gets down and gets it and then ... then ... SHE.LICKED.IT! She will now have everything that everyone had in that ER.

When we finally saw the doctor he didn't know anything. No, I am not being mean he actually said, "I don't know. Looks like Scarlet Fever but culture is negative. So, lets just hit him with some more antibiotics and if he loses his vision all together come back and see me."! Riiighhhhttt. Not going to happen. If he loses his vision I will drive to Louisville and tell my insurance it was lost right outside Kosair Childrens. Yes, I would lie. I am not perfect.

Needless to say, I left and had a meltdown on the phone with anyone who called during that first 30 minutes post-ER. Sorry to all of you!

I planned this awesome weekend in the Mississippi which is now not going to happen. I felt bad until my little sis called to tell me her kids had the flu! We wouldn't want to be around them anyway! My heart was put at peace with that news. It just wasn't meant to be. Some things aren't!

If you see my son in the upcoming weeks please don't scream! We have no idea what this thing on his face is and as of now it has been treated with 2 different antibiotics and cortisone. There's a good chance it will be around for awhile!



No comments:

Post a Comment