Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day 26 - Rewind!

I threw a tantrum yesterday. Maybe I needed one. Who knows?

I wanted to write this post last night but I never sat down and had the chance. Yesterday was definitely the case of me in the boat, during the storm, not trusting.

I have been telling myself that when that phone rings (or computer in this case) that if it is bad news I will take a deep breathe and say, "It's going to all work out". Of course the opposite happened yesterday. M2 called and it took 12 minutes just to get the skype working right which meant we had 18 minutes left. By then I was very frustrated so when he said he had something to tell me I was not in the right mindset for that something to be negative. I overreacted.

Here's the story - I was keeping it under wraps for awhile in case things changed but today I realized I should go ahead and let people know so they can be in prayer for us and also to give outsiders a glance at how fast your life can change when serving in the military.

M2 submitted his file to go before a branch transfer board back in October after some encouragement from his leadership to do so. M2 is infantry and was trying to get picked up by civil affairs. It's a pretty cool job and the army teaches you a language. M2 really wanted the opportunity. We weren't sure of the chances but went for it anyways. Lots happened after that and most of the time we had placed the board in the back of our minds. On into January we started to feel like since we hadn't heard anything he probably didn't get it. Deployment was consuming our minds anyway. Literally the first working day after he deployed he got an acceptance email! We were thrilled! Also, we were concerned with the timing. As it turned out this job would take precedence over the one he is currently in and he would need to come back early to start the 2+ years of schooling that is involved. Since the moment we were told that I have been stressed out. Of course his current unit is using his assets and does not want to lose those and the "gaining" unit sees his potential and also does not want to lose him. The option to finish the deployment and then move over is not even there, finishing the deployment means giving this opportunity up. Civil Affairs needs the training to be started ASAP so that he does not fall behind those others that were chosen. Finally it seemed like a decision had been made and M2 would be returning in time to attend a June course. Relief.

Then yesterday M2 called to tell me that the post we were suppose to be moving to in June said no! The Army gets confusing sometimes. Our oldest has Aspergers. It dictates where we can and cannot move. It's frustrating. But the Army will not allow M2 to go to a post that they feel would not accommodate our child. We have no say. Of all the hoops we have had to jump through I did not see this one coming. I felt overwhelmed. So, like everyone knows - I threw a tantrum! M2 never faltered. I made some calls and he made some calls and within a few hours the problem was resolved! Even his branch manager was surprised we got it fixed. I had SO many people write me, FB me, text me yesterday telling me they were praying for us even though they didn't know what was going on. God heard!

So, as of today M2 will be home before the 365 day mark. We will be transitioning into a new, foreign to us, part of the Army. We are excited. I am skeptical. I know that information and dates will probably change. I have learned that much the past 10 years. Until he is here I will continue to blog :)!

I would love to say that I learned something about trusting and that the next go round I will be calm and collective and leave it in God's hands .... but I know myself! Yet, I am still trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment