Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 67 - Frustrated!


I am completely frustrated tonight with E's school! It can be very frustrating having a child with a disability that does not show on the outside. I am not trying to be insensitive to those who do show on the outside and I am oh so grateful that things are not more difficult for us but having a child with Aspergers, such a high functioning one at that, can be overwhelming because other people are quick to write her off as just highly intelligent and undisciplined! E has so much to deal with concerning the deployment. Everything in her life that frustrates her right now I can not control. So when there is something so easy to control, like her nutrition, I feel like that one thing is VITAL. If that is all I can do to make her life more bearable then it is my top priority. A few years ago E could not be in a regular classroom. We tried and 2 years in a row we got called in for several parent/teacher conferences and had to deal with teachers who had no idea what to do with our child. Also we had to deal with parents who avoided us because they did not want E had their kids parties or playdates. This past year we have made great strides by just simply changing her diet. No dyes, no artificial sweeteners, no preservatives. We decided against trying the gluten free/Casein free route because we believe the things God intended us to eat should be eaten and are not the problem. Wheat and milk both appear in the Bible so I think God intended those for our bodies. (I do believe that for some children these things are not good but it was just not the route our family chose to take.) I don't recall the Israelites chowing down on HFCS or Red 40 though. Since we tweaked her diet we have seen amazing results. We tested them. We would yield and let her eat something at a party only to have all of us paying for it later when she went into complete meltdown.

This year she was able to make it in a regular classroom. Only small difficulties. Until recently that is!! She keeps eating other kids foods at lunch. Therefore, her behavior is WAY out of whack! I have talked to the school before, I have emailed the school, when M2 was still here we both went in and sat with the Principal. The thing that bothers me the most is if she had a peanut allergy they would definitely KEEP THE PEANUTS AWAY FROM HER!!!! Yet, this is destructive as well and it continues to happen. She comes home hopped up on all the crap she is not suppose to have and then has a complete raging meltdown. It is SO easily prevented! If the solution can't come from the school I will have to go take her out at lunch and bring her home to feed her every day. Hardly seems right! If M2 were here he would go up there in a heartbeat and talk with them. I so wish he could!

Ok, I vented - it's all out. I feel better now!

On a different note - Day 67 I starred in a commercial for a local car dealership as a saloon girl. Laugh it up people!!

Here's that lovely, beautiful, sweet, COMPLETELY OUT OF CONTROL RIGHT NOW child!

No comments:

Post a Comment