Sunday, January 16, 2011

The "official" Day 1

I really wanted to be able to sit down tonight and blog about how well today went. Something along the lines of how I got up and cooked the kids breakfast and caught up on the 50 loads of laundry that are angry with me for ignoring them while I tried to suck every minute out of the time I had with Matt. Maybe I would have finally gone to the store for the bread we haven't had for almost 2 weeks now. You know - productive things! But here is how my day went down!

First, and MOST exciting, someone woke me very early with a phone call! Before he left we did not know what to expect as far as communication. We know that at the final destination communication is going to be rocky - but on the way the possibility is sometimes there. Each flight is different. He didn't have any info on his flights or layovers or anything. This was a little concerning to me - he was the flight commander for his flight. Which means he was "the guy". If he doesn't have the info then there is no one else to ask. Knowing that, I still don't understand why he could not talk the pilot into dropping him off in Canada and I would just meet him there :)! Where was I headed? Oh - yeah the layover! So his first plane landed and they had a couple of hours of waiting for the next one ... so he bought an OUTRAGEOUSLY priced phone card and called. Then he figured out internet was a bit cheaper so we ended up skyping for awhile. (He also had a chance to read my blog where he informed me I spelled "role" instead of "roll" I told him to read my disclaimer - then I went and changed it!) And you would think I was an inexperienced parent because I thought it was a good idea to wake up the kids to skype as well. Needless to say Mommy was SO tired when it was all done. And emotionally drained. So - attempting to win "Mother of the Year" I gave the kids some pop tarts and sat them on the couch with the netflix remote while I went back to bed and slept ... and slept ... and slept some more.

Then, of course I had to get up because it was time to make up for the completely unhealthy breakfast and fix the kids lunch. So, I rolled out of bed (still in yesterdays clothes, btw) rubbed the mascara off my face and loaded the kids in the car for some Panera Bread (hey - it's healthier than pop tarts!). I might have also stopped by Old Navy because flannel always makes my heart feel better :)!!

But the day did end productively. We attended our first Operation Faithful Support meeting and I finally had a chance to see all my dear friends who I have neglected for the past few weeks. It felt refreshing to be in a room with so many women who are intricately linked to this experience I am going through. I absolutely love my Fort Knox ladies!

(GRRRR ... so Matt apparently tried to skype me while I was blogging and I missed 5 attempts. It was ok because he emailed me saying he had wifi access at this stop and he was going to go shave and then attempt again ... this brings us up to this moment - the *d--- thing WILL not work. My guess is the wifi is free because it is shoddy. But every connection is lost the minute I say hello - the ONE time I actually saw his face appear someone came and said "sir" and he turned from the computer to talk and nothing since. Oh well. )

So, that was day one! At the end of everything I felt like we all needed a lazy day. full of things out of the norm. Back to some normalcy tomorrow. IF there is such a thing.

All of my wonderful friends who had such encouraging things to say on FB today - you all will never know what your words have meant to me. Each and every one of you are blessings. Thank you!



*obviously I was saying "darn". :)


1 comment:

  1. Hi again,

    Pawpaw has fixed me up. I am not as savvy as my MIT granddaughter, but he is a genius!!

    Type to you later.

    Love, hugs and kisses,

    Nannie

    ReplyDelete