Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 89 - Home at last!

My soldier is FINALLY home!!

We had pretty good intel that he would be arriving this evening so I took the kids out of school and planned an entire day of keeping myself busy so that I would not get overwhelmed with anxiety!

Woke up, went to a chiropractic appointment, went to the gym and had a grueling workout, went shopping at Target for poster board to make welcome home signs and while I was standing in line all nasty and sweaty from the gym I get a phone call from M2 saying he was actually coming in early. I had 2 hours to get to the airport. Problem was I happened to be 30 minutes from my house which is then another hour from the airport. I panicked at the thought of meeting him looking, not to mention smelling, the way I did!!

Luckily though that flight was delayed for JUST long enough for me to get home, shower and make some posters!

The kids and I got there just as he was walking past security. There little faces LIT up and ironically, my half blind child was the first to spot him and take off running! Being little and squatty like she is though the other 2 had plenty of time to catch up. This caused an argument for the rest of the evening as to who actually touched him first.

I did not expect the overwhelming flood of emotion and relief that came over me. My world spun and at that moment everything was right again. The second my own arms got around him I knew this was all too real. I knew that at least for that moment he was safe and we were going to be okay.

When we were able to talk we both realized that we had both dealt with doubt that we would actually see each other. I was still thinking of the possibilities of what could happen to his plane and he was in return considering what could happen to us on the drive to the airport.

We are reunited, though and I am so thankful to God!

I have failed to mention the family member who showed the MOST love to M2. Yuma, our dog, was ecstatic. She definitely kissed him the most!!

As I am here with my beloved my thoughts and prayers are with our men and families that are still apart. I have an especially heavy heart this evening for one family - a wife I was just beginning to really get to know. She has been in my thoughts every second of M2's reunion with us and I want everyone who reads this to also be thinking and praying for our families that have injured loved ones that might be returning home under different circumstances.

Let us not forget ... let us remain vigilant in prayer.

Day 89 - Home at last!

2 comments: